Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A conversation at noon

Tenses and aspect are among the most difficult things to learn in any language, so I've made a pretty chart to simplify the whole thing. It includes an example of a conversation that includes each form at least once.

Click to enlarge!

UPDATE:
It helps if you look at which time phrases you can use with each form (left side of the chart). For example:
The race started at 10am. [the simple past]
The race has started now. [has is present tense, so it is about the past of the present (i.e., a time before now)]
The race had started at 11am. [had is past tense, so it is about the past of the past (i.e., a time before 11am)]
If it is now 12pm, you can't say:
WRONG: The race has started at 10am. [has is present tense, but 10am is in the past, so it doesn't make sense]
If you want to attach a time phrase to start instead of have, use the simple past form.

2 comments:

  1. I hope this is becoming a book, Huck. If so, you will have been writing a book. I have never written a book. Did you ever write a book? Will you be writing a book? I read a book. Had I never read a book, perhaps I would not be so interested in the writing of books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)

    I can't see it becoming a book yet. It's quite a departure from what I'd normally write about. So far I'm just enjoying myself with it, but I have a pretty long list of topics in the queue that could provide enough material I suppose.

    ReplyDelete